Friday, August 1, 2008

Change of plans

It looks like I won't be going up to Logansport to help lead job readiness classes on Saturdays after all. Joann (the director of AIM) says she's having trouble getting clearance for me. We were at lunch with a couple of other co-workers and she said we'd talk about it later, so I'm kind of assuming it's because of my arrest last year.

"That's ridiculous," said Laura, one of my house mates. "It was civil disobedience!" I told her that's probably worse because I can't (and won't) say it was a mistake.

I'm a little disappointed, since I was looking forward to shaking up my daily tasks a bit, but I'm also kind of relieved: if I did the Logansport thing I'd either be working six days a week, which I didn't rule out, or skipping a day of Academy. It seems I've reached a level of importance such that they actually have to replace me when I can't do Academy, so I feel guilty about any time I have to miss it (or, more commonly, drive separately from the van, since Stacy still prefers to find someone else to ride with her). Now I just have to get to the point where they can't replace me and I'll have it made.

Not really. After all, I'm only here for the summer.

Today was one of my less valuable days. We like to do something fun (like a field trip of sorts) on Fridays for the kids, and today we took them to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. I say we, but I mean Stacy, because I had a previously mentioned lunch meeting and had to show up at the IMA later. I was there for a grand total of an hour and fifteen minutes before it was time to go. And since I drove separately, all I had to do was head straight back to the office.

At this point it was only 3:00, and I'd started work at 11:30.

I started some work on a lesson plan for next week but ended up going home at 4:00. I'll devote Monday morning to finishing that up.

I commented to some of my co-workers today that I'm amazed how much I actually look forward to going to work. I mean, I've never had a job I really didn't like (and liked working at Messenger Magazine last summer), but being only 21 most of my work history consists of jobs aimed towards getting gas money (factory, farm, water & sewer, etc). I can understand why those of my house mates who were able to reach into their pockets and pay for this program themselves chose to do so - the work is really fulfilling.

Sadly, my summer is almost halfway over. That's no good.

No comments: