Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Meetings, research, and more top-secret stuff

Today I met with Tedd Grain, an IUPUI graduate research assistant who knows everything there is to know about the nonprofit industry.  I can't really discuss what the meeting was about, unfortunately.

The meeting was scheduled for 12:00, and I was to meet see the secretary on the fourth floor of the SPEA (School for Public and Environmental Affairs) building in room 4032T.  I got there ten minutes early, but that and more was eaten up by the fact that it took twenty minutes to find a place to park.  Ultimately I stashed my car in a loading zone, flashers on, hoping nobody would notice that it was there longer than twenty minutes and no one was loading anything.

I found the fourth floor of SPEA without too much trouble, but was a bit frustrated by my search for 4032T.  You see, while one side of the hallway stretches from 4026 to 4060 or so, the other side is just 4032A, 4032B, and so forth.  That is not how it's supposed to work.

Anyway, I caught Tedd on his way out to lunch and was able to join him and a couple of other grad students in some good conversation (and the remains of a delicious sub), marking what was probably the least work I've ever done on the clock.  He was able to point me in the right direction (he told me the phrase I needed to know to do research, basically), and then took me back to his office and gave me a massive binder, with a tab on the exact subject I needed to learn about.  Jackpot!

After that I called up Stacy to see if she needed me to join her at academy, but she said it wouldn't be necessary.  She's trying to help one of our students get his state ID (something the mentors would usually do, I think) and told me she'd just see me tomorrow.  So I'm back at the house to do some research, and I decided that I'll take breaks here and there to catch up on some of the blogging I haven't been doing enough of.  Look out for those posts throughout the afternoon.

(As if enough people read this frequently enough for that kind of comment to be helpful.)

1 comment:

Keith Carter said...

Hey Nick, I have enjoyed reading about your experiences this summer.