Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things that didn't happen

At the beginning of the summer, we had to fill out some "mutual expectations" sheets and create objectives for the summer.  I understand the value of objections and expectations - the former give directions, and the latter avert problems down the line.  But now that I have just three days left, I'm a little anxious about these things - some of them aren't going to happen.  I don't feel bad about that, because things just went in a different direction, but I'm not clear on how bad the Peace Institute is going to hit me for not fulfilling my goals.

  1. "Intern and mentor will meet every two weeks to discuss progress." - That happened exactly once, and there was no discussion of progress because there were four of us at lunch together for the meeting instead of just the director and me.  I know Joann is way too busy to bend over backwards for my paperwork and such, so I wish we hadn't agreed to that one.
  2. Creative component - I think I was being overly zealous about finding great objectives to put in on the paper.  I planned to set up an art workshop in collaboration with Big Car gallery, where my housemate Ben worked this summer, for the students.  It looked less and less likely as I realized there was a rather specific format for Academy, and while I probably still could have squeezed it in (maybe instead of our "education" day, since the entire discussion basically consists of "get one"), but nobody returned my calls.
  3. More meetings - Joann was going to set up meetings for me with Roger, the guy who started AIM, and with another IUPUI professor who does the statistics tracking for the program.  Those meetings never took place.
  4. A final report - This I can still do.  I said I'd write a report for AIM evaluating their practices and making suggestions.  I'm becoming less and less confident that I have any standing to do that.  I had a pretty specific role for most of the summer, so while people made sure I got a good feel for how the program worked, I was mostly just exposed to the Academy at any real depth.  Also, without the meetings I was supposed to have, I don't have much information on this stuff.
I think my real frustration here is that the internship was great.  My mentor made sure I was doing things that I could learn from, participate in, and use for academic advancement - to an extent beyond what other interns' mentors did for them, in some cases (for example, I suggest this research I'm doing might be intended to give me something more "academic" than Academy facilitation).  I managed to find a role in the organization and work my way to the point where I was chipping in quite a lot - I know Stacy was really glad to have me.  Yet I have to keep reminding myself of all this because things turned out different then I'd planned, which makes me feel as if I didn't do a good job.

No comments: