Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What is AIM?

Alright, let's see how well I can explain what I understand about AIM so far.

AIM was founded by a professor at IUPUI, so for a while it was considered to be under the university.  However, it is now under the umbrella of the Indiana Juvenile Justice Taskforce.  I do not know what that means.

AIM is a "juvenile re-entry and mentoring program" which is largely (but not entirely) a part of the Community Transition Program, which exists in Marion county and (I think) one or two others.  All students assigned to CTP are put on probation and sent to AIM, which gives them a mentor while they're locked up (and afterwards, I think) and, once they get out, a ten-day life skills academy.  Each student is also assigned an in-home therapist, but I don't think we do that.

So that's the rundown on the organizational structure.  Most of my work has been with the AIM academy, which today involved talking about our favorite movies and playing Monopoly.

That's all for now.

No comments: