Sunday, July 6, 2008

Welcome to Indianapolis

Late this afternoon, I arrived in beautiful Indianapolis, Indiana. My family used to come here a lot when I was little, but I don't spend much time here anymore. As far as big cities go, this is really a great place.

As it turns out, Indianapolis is the thirteenth-largest city in the United States and the second-largest state capital. (This does not include the outlying incorporated areas that are considered part of Indianapolis but are not technically within the city limits.)

I had no idea that we had such an impressive city in Indiana. Finding this fascinating, I had to see what the twelve cities beating us are. As of 2007, the only cities with populations larger than Indianapolis are:

New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Detroit and Jacksonville.

I'm still getting settled here in Peace House (I really must post some pictures). The bad news is that I got the address wrong when I was playing with MapQuest a while back, so instead of being a mere couple of blocks from my internship site I'm really quite far and will have to drive, bringing me into the fold of people who will be bemoaning our high gas prices. This should start tomorrow, since I just about ran out of gas on my way down from Goshen.

The "good" news is that my minivan suffered some horrible fate yesterday and began literally spraying gasoline onto the road in what I arbitrarily choose to call a "ruptured fuel line" (in reality, I know nothing about cars). That means that, for the time being, I at least have Mom's more fuel-efficient Nissan Altima.

UPDATE - I just loaded the addresses into MapQuest, and I think when my coordinator told me that it would be too far to walk, she was thinking in Indianapolis mode. I'm still thinking in Mexico mode, so I feel like any distance I can walk within an hour is "walking distance." That's probably a really good attitude to have, but I seriously doubt I'll be walking the 0.95 miles to my placement on a regular basis. HOWEVER, my parents are bringing my bike down on Friday, and a mile is definitely within biking distance. Score one environment.

The people here are friendly and outgoing, and immediately put me to work chopping red peppers for a salad. I currently have no spot on the chore wheel, and it's uncertain when I'll get one - apparently it's perfect right now, and as the thirteenth member of the household I'm throwing everything off.

I've just started to meet my housemates and can't really say much about them at this point, but I'll post a more detailed commentary on my living situation at a later time. As for now, I'll just say that I'm here in Indy and I'm looking forward to everything that's soon to come.

No comments: